1 cup butter or margarine, divided
3 cups white cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
7 large eggs, divided
3 cups buttermilk
3 cups soft breadcrumbs
2 medium onions, diced
1 large bunch celery, diced
1/2 cup fresh sage, finely chopped
6 (10-1/2 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
- Place 1/2 cup butter in a 13- x 9-inch pan; heat in oven at 425° for 4 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and next 5 ingredients; whisk in 3 eggs and buttermilk.
- Pour hot butter into batter, stirring until blended. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- Crumble cornbread into a large bowl; stir in breadcrumbs, and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions and celery, and saute until tender. Stir in sage, and saute 1 more minute.
- Stir vegetables, remaining 4 eggs, chicken broth, and pepper into cornbread mixture; pour evenly into 1 lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish and 1 lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- *1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage may be substituted for fresh sage.
- Andouille Sausage, Apple, and Pecan Dressing:
- Brown 3/4 pound diced andouille sausage in a skillet over medium heat; drain. Add sausage; 2 Granny Smith apples, chopped; and 2 cups chopped toasted pecans to dressing. Proceed as directed, baking 40 to 45 minutes or until done.